Our consultant Barrister Yasin Patel has years of experience in advising high profile athletes and bodies alike.
Yasin Patel is an esteemed Barrister with 19 years of experience in advising high profile athletes and bodies alike. Shahid Khan is the Managing Director of Advice Wise Solicitors and also heads the Sports Law department working closely with Yasin Patel to ensure that clients are provided with leading representation whilst benefitting from both the experiences of a senior solicitor and experienced Counsel.
A few notable high profile and recent cases on which Yasin has been instructed on:
- Acted for International England cricketer in a spot fixing case and subsequent appeal in a case brought by the ECB which involved hearings before CAS and the High Court in London;
- Acted for Pakistan Cricket Players in a spot fixing case under the ICC rules in Doha;
- Representation of an International cyclist who is to appear before the CAS in proceedings brought by the UCI;
- Acted for English domestic and international cricketers, Bangladeshi cricketers and Bangladeshi cricket club owners in relation to corruption and anti-bribery charges brought against them under the ICC rules;
- Represented Indian Cricket players who were banned from participating in the Indian Cricket League. This involved ICC and BCCI rules and the Indian National Law in conjunction with the advice given by lawyers in India;
- Instructed for a young tennis player and his family on a case before CAS brought against the LTA for discrimination and racism;
- Acted for an Iranian wrestler who was accused of using performance enhancing drugs and was subsequently banned from competing in all international tournaments.
Yasin Patel is a consultant Barrister at Advice Wise Solicitors who has developed a well-established practice in the rapidly expanding and evolving field of Sports Law. Yasin’s former clients have included high-profile national governing bodies, public bodies, international athletes from various fields of sport, sports clubs and media agencies but to name a few.
Yasin’s expertise encompasses a wide range of sports including, football, cricket, athletics, boxing, rugby, cycling, horse racing, snooker, tennis and multi-discipline combat sports. Yasin is frequently instructed in notable high-profile cases and boasts class-leading representation at all levels of Criminal and Civil Courts, Disciplinary Panels, Arbitration Hearings, Mediation Meetings not to mention at the widely renown and recognised Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Yasin Patel has experience and expertise in:
- Sports Governance
- Disciplinary and Anti-Doping proceedings
- Anti-Corruption Hearings and Cases
- Drafting of Rules and Regulations
- Contract Matters (Commercial and Individual Athletes and Players)
- Commercial, Marketing, Image and New Media Rights
- Image Rights
- Libel and Defamation
- Governing Body actions and challenges to decisions
- Arbitration and Mediation Panels and Dispute Resolution
- Governmental Advice
- Sports Accidents and Inquests