At Advice Wise Solicitors we have teamed up with Yasin Patel who is a barrister with 19 years of experience in advising high profile athletes. Shahid Khan remains the head of the Sports Law who works closely with Yasin.
A few notable high profile and recent cases we have/are instructed on:
- Acted for International England cricketer in a spot fixing case and subsequent appeal in a case brought by the ECB which involved hearings before CAS and the High Court in London;
- Acted for Pakistan Cricket Players in a spot fixing case under the ICC rules in Doha;
- Representation of an International cyclist who is to appear before the CAS in proceedings brought by the UCI;
- Acted for English domestic and international cricketers, Bangladeshi cricketers and Bangladeshi cricket club owners in relation to corruption and anti-bribery charges brought against them under the ICC rules;
- Represented Indian Cricket players who were banned from participating in the Indian Cricket League. This involved ICC and BCCI rules and the Indian National Law in conjunction with the advice given by lawyers in India;
- Instructed for a young tennis player and his family on a case before CAS brought against the LTA for discrimination and racism;
- Acted for an Iranian wrestler who was accused of using performance enhancing drugs and was subsequently banned from competing in all international tournaments.
Yasin Patel is a Barrister at Church Court Chambers’ They have developed a niche practice in the rapidly expanding and evolving field of Sports Law. Our clients include national governing bodies, public bodies, International athletes and clubs and media agencies.
Church Court Chambers have been involved in matters over a wide range of sports including, football, cricket, athletics, boxing, rugby union, cycling, horse racing, snooker, tennis, various combat sports. We have been involved in notable high profile cases and representation at all levels of Criminal and Civil Courts, Disciplinary Panels, arbitration and Mediation matters and disputes being resolved at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
We are also partnered with sport specialists Slam.Global (headed by Yasin Patel) which have represented high profile athletes before various legal tribunals, providing contractual advice to athletes and resolving media industry disputes.
Together with SLAM.Global we have experience and expertise in:
- Sports Governance
- Disciplinary and Anti-Doping proceedings
- Anti-Corruption Hearings and Cases
- Drafting of Rules and Regulations
- Contract Matters (Commercial and Individual Athletes and Players)
- Commercial, Marketing, Image and New Media Rights
- Image Rights
- Libel and Defamation
- Governing Body actions and challenges to decisions
- Arbitration and Mediation Panels and Dispute Resolution
- Governmental Advice
- Sports Accidents and Inquests